Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Our 13 Week Ultrasound

We just had our 13 week ultrasound and received another perfect report. All three babies are measuring at least 13 weeks, have perfect heartbeats, have perfect nuchal translucency measurements, and have no signs of TTTS. So, so far so good.

We are only in the beginning stages of this complicated, scary pregnancy but it is nice to know that everything is looking great so far. The doctors say that if we get to 20 weeks with no signs of TTTS, it is not a guarantee, but we should be in the clear for that. That is our biggest risk and concern. Keeping our fingers crossed.

But of course, once we get past that hurdle, we still have a million others to deal with- like preterm labor, growth restriction, preclampsia, gestational diabetes, and all the other risks associated with triplet pregnancies. But, we are in the hands of the best doctors in the region, so I am just going to sit tight and not think about it. I am giving this all up to the hands of God. God gave us this triplet pregnancy so I am going to let him worry about it instead or else I will go crazy :) 

Our ultrasound took almost two hours! It took FOREVER to get measurements on all three babies. And they were not very cooperative today! All three of them were jumping and wiggling like crazy, especially the identical twins. And Baby A kept chewing on the hand (or sucking on the thumb). It was all so cute.

The identical twins had higher heartrates than the singleton. The saying is that girls have higher heartrates. Grant almost had a heart attack at the indication that we could be adding two more girls to our family :) But then the doctor told us that the heartrate theory is a wives tale and we will find out the sexes at our 16 week ultrasound. Actually, Grant will be thrilled with any sex, as long as the babies are healthy. You should see him with Lauren. She is the ULTIMATE daddy's girl and he is so unbelievably wonderful with her. It is just funny to see him react to the thought of a house FULL of girls, especially cranky, hormonal teenage girls. Hee hee. We will find out soon enough!

As for me? I am still really sick with this morning sickness!! Morning sickness with triplet pregnancies often last far past the first trimester, so we will see if and when this lets up. I am still vomiting a bit, but am also forcing myself to eat a good chunk of good. I have gained about 12 pounds so far. This seems like only a dent in the 50-70 pounds I am supposed to gain but I just need to get there focusing on one pound at a time. Who ever thought that gaining weight would be so difficult!

Now it is time for the 13 week ultrasound pictures.

Baby A (singleton)

Baby A is the thumbsucker. You can see that the hand is near the mouth.

Baby B (identical)




Baby C (identical)

Baby C was not very cooperative and kept wiggling and moving! It made it very hard  to get measurements or a good profile picture.



A Picture of Both Baby B and C (identicals)

Here they are in the same placenta (crowded eh?)


Until next time! See ya,

Kara

1 comment: